Anantnag op continues on Day 4 as forces close in on hiding militants

Srinagar, Sep 16 (UNI) The massive operation in Jammu and Kashmir’s Anantnag district entered its fourth day on Saturday with two to three Lashkar-e-Taiba militants, who were behind the killing of two Army officers and one police officer, still holed up in the forest area, officials said.

As the operation resumed in the forests at Gadole Kokernag on Saturday, Northern Army Commander Lt. Gen. Upendra Dwivedi visited the area where he reviewed the operational situation of the ongoing operation.

“He was briefed by the ground commanders on the high-intensity operation in which hi-tech equipment is being used for surveillance and the delivery of firepower, along with the high impact of precision fire being used by the forces,” the Army said in a statement.

Security forces have been using drones to pinpoint the location of the militant hideout in the forests at Gadole Kokernag.

On Saturday, intermittent firing and blasts were heard from the area. Sources said the forces were closing in on the hiding militants. Security forces have used mortars and RPGs to flush out militants.

A drone’s footage showed a suspected hideout destroyed in force action. Another piece of footage showed a militant running for cover after a hideout was hit by shells.

Officials said the operation was taking time as the terrain was tough and challenging and the forces were extra careful.

On late Friday, Additional Director General of Police, Kashmir, Vijay Kumar, said, “All two-three trapped terrorists will be neutralised.”

The operation has been going on since Wednesday after two decorated Army officers, Colonel Manpreet Singh, Commanding Officer of the 19 Rashtriya Rifles, his company commander, Major Aashish Dhonchak, also from the 19 RR, and Deputy Superintendent of Police Himayun Muzamil Bhat, were killed and two other soldiers were injured in a gun battle in the area.

Forces have been using UAVs and firing mortars to neutralise the militants.

Leave a Reply