At least 12 people were killed under the debris of a four-storey ‘Kesarbai’ building that collapsed on Tuesday afternoon in the financial city’s Dongri area.
Maharashtra Home Minister Radhakrishna Vikhe Patil has confirmed 12 deaths as of now.
A team of National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) has been pressed into service in the building collapse site.
‘We had given the responsibility of repairing the buildings in the area to a contractor but no development work was carried out between 2012 and 2019. We do take the blame and whoever within Maharashtra Housing and Area Development Authority MHADA is responsible for it, strict action will be taken against them, ” Uday Samant, Maharashtra Housing and Area Development Authority chairman, said.
So far, five people, including a child, have been rescued from the debris.
The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation has set up a shelter for the affected at Imamwada Municipal Secondary Girls’ School.
Reports and eyewitnesses claim that most of the buildings are in a dilapidated condition and since the lanes are too narrow, teams of relief and rescue operations are finding it tough to reach the accident spot.
Blaming the state government for the tragedy, All India Majlis-e-Ittehad-ul-Muslimeen MLA Waris Pathan said the government does not give importance to safety and security of old buildings and that he has always raised the issue in the state Assembly.