Trump warns Iran of ‘bad things,’ sets 10–15 day deadline for Nuclear deal

Washington, Feb 20 (UNI) US President Donald Trump warned Iran on Thursday that “bad things” would happen if it failed to secure an agreement over its nuclear program and extended his timeline to 10–15 days for a decision on Iran.

This statement from Trump comes amid a massive US military buildup in the Middle East, fueling concerns of a wider war.

Trump said negotiations with Iran were going well but insisted that Tehran must reach a “meaningful” agreement. Amid fears, the US is prepared to strike Iran as early as this weekend, though Trump has not yet made a final decision. Speaking to reporters aboard Air Force One, Trump said, “10–15 days, pretty much maximum.”

“We’re either going to get a deal or it’s going to be unfortunate for them,” he said.

Trump suggested he would know whether a deal with Iran was possible within 10 days. “We may have to take it a step further, or we may not. Maybe we’re going to make a deal,” Trump said during remarks at the inaugural meeting of the Board of Peace. “You’re going to be finding out over the next probably 10 days.”

Trump has repeatedly floated military action against Iran on Israel’s insistence, initially following last month’s deadly crackdown on anti-regime demonstrators that left thousands dead, and over its nuclear activities, though until now he had avoided setting a deadline.

Referring to US strikes on Iranian nuclear facilities in June last year, Trump reiterated that Iran “can’t have a nuclear weapon.”

“You can’t have peace in the Middle East if they have a nuclear weapon,” he said.

“Now is the time for Iran to join us on a path that will complete what we’re doing,” Trump added.

“If they join us, that’ll be great. If they don’t join us, that’ll be great too. But it’ll be a very different path,” he continued. “They cannot continue to threaten the stability of the entire region.”

“They must make a deal. If that doesn’t happen… bad things will happen,” he added.

Leave a Reply