After Bangladesh, Pak’s T20 WC participation uncertain

Islamabad, Jan 24 (UNI) Pakistan’s participation in the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 has been clouded by controversy after the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) questioned the ICC’s decision to remove Bangladesh from the tournament, alleging “double standards” in the handling of venue-related disputes.

PCB chairman Mohsin Naqvi said Pakistan would take a final call on its participation only after consultations with the Government of Pakistan, making it clear that the decision was no longer in the board’s hands. His remarks came shortly after uncertainty continues over Dhaka’s participation in the tournament.

Bangladesh had sought a change in venue citing security concerns, a request the ICC declined despite multiple representations by the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) after consultations with its government. With Bangladesh unwilling to accept the existing schedule, Scotland have emerged as the likely replacement.

Pakistan has emerged as the sole ICC member to publicly back Bangladesh’s position. At a recent ICC meeting, the PCB supported the BCB’s demand for an alternative venue, arguing that Bangladesh had been treated unfairly. Naqvi described the ICC’s decision as an injustice and said cricket could not function on different rules for different countries.

The controversy has drawn attention to the broader governance of international cricket, with Pakistan’s stance adding an unexpected dimension to the crisis. While reports have suggested that Pakistan could consider withdrawing from the tournament in solidarity with Bangladesh, the PCB has so far refrained from confirming any such move.

Pakistan are scheduled to play the opening match of the T20 World Cup against the Netherlands on February 7. Under an existing arrangement with the ICC and the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), Pakistan are slated to play all their matches in Sri Lanka.

The PCB chairman reiterated that Pakistan would abide by the government’s decision on whether to take part in the tournament, leaving the ICC facing continued uncertainty over one of its major participants.

 

 

Leave a Reply