Delhi LG, CM launch 24 new Atal canteens, total rises to 71

New Delhi, Feb 19 (UNI) Delhi Lieutenant Governor Vinay Kumar Saxena and Chief Minister Rekha Gupta on Thursday launched 24 new Atal Canteens across the national capital, taking the total number of such outlets to 71. The new facilities were inaugurated digitally from Nursery Basti in Krishna Nagar.

Following the launch, the Lieutenant Governor, the Chief Minister and other dignitaries shared a meal with members of the public at the venue.

Addressing the gathering, Saxena said the expansion of the scheme would provide affordable and hygienic meals to economically weaker sections, migrant workers and students. He said the Delhi government is providing a subsidy of Rs 25 per plate to ensure that beneficiaries receive meals at just Rs 5. He added that food quality and hygiene are being regularly monitored.

“The focus remains on quality and hygiene. Regular monitoring is being carried out to maintain standards,” he said. Gupta said the Atal Canteens aim to provide dignified and nutritious meals to daily wage earners and other vulnerable sections at an affordable price.

She announced that the government has set a target of increasing the number of canteens to 100 in the coming months. “Officials have been directed to ensure there is no compromise on food quality, nutrition or taste,” she said.

The canteens are being operated by the Delhi Urban Shelter Improvement Board and primarily cater to labourers, migrant workers, rickshaw pullers, sanitation workers, domestic helpers and low-income groups. Meals typically include dal, rice, roti and vegetables.

Meals typically include dal, rice, roti and vegetables. According to officials, the scheme was launched on December 25 last year to mark the birth anniversary of former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.

Urban Development Minister Ashish Sood said that in the 57 days since the launch, 14,58,301 people have availed meals under the scheme at Rs 5 per plate.

“In the first 56 days, 46 canteens were operational, serving an average of around 26,000 people daily. Each canteen has catered to more than 31,000 beneficiaries on average,” he said.

Sood said 25 more canteens are planned to be opened soon, which is expected to increase the daily beneficiary count to over 50,000 people.

Officials said the system includes digital token distribution, CCTV monitoring and fully computerised billing to ensure transparency. Meals are served in steel plates and hygiene standards are maintained at all centres.

“The expansion of Atal Canteens reflects our commitment to ensuring that no one in Delhi sleeps hungry,” she said.

Gupta said the government will complete one year in office on February 20 and reiterated that the welfare of the poor remains a priority.

Leave a Reply