Nagpur, Jan 17 (UNI) The Income Tax Department on Saturday launched a large-scale search and seizure operation at more than 20 locations across Nagpur in connection with alleged tax evasion by supari (betel nut) traders, official sources said.
The coordinated raids began early in the morning and targeted several business and residential premises linked to the supari trade, particularly in the Maskasath and Itwari areas of the city.
Multiple teams of the department were deployed simultaneously to prevent the removal or destruction of financial records and digital evidence.
Sources said the action was initiated following inputs suggesting significant discrepancies between the declared income and the actual turnover of supari traders operating in Nagpur and adjoining regions.
Officials are examining financial documents, electronic devices, cash transactions and other relevant materials to determine the extent of unaccounted income and possible violations of tax laws.
The operation is part of an ongoing investigation into alleged large-scale tax evasion in the supari trade, which is known for high-volume cash dealings and interstate movement of goods.
According to officials, such factors have kept the sector under close scrutiny for a considerable period.
This marks the first major Income Tax raid in Nagpur in 2026.
Similar enforcement actions were carried out last year, when the department conducted searches at several commercial establishments associated with trading, logistics and processing activities.
During raids in 2025, officials had detected multiple cases involving undisclosed income, cash transactions and non-compliance with tax regulations in the agricultural produce and allied commodities sector.
Sources within the department said the current operation is a continuation of last year’s enforcement drive, aimed at enhancing tax compliance and curbing the circulation of black money in the local trading network.
No official statement has been issued so far regarding the quantum of undisclosed income detected.
Officials confirmed that the searches are still in progress and further details will be shared after the completion of the operation and preliminary assessments.
