New Delhi, Oct 9 (UNI) Prime Minister Narendra Modi today congratulated US President Donald Trump on the success of the historic Gaza peace plan, a statement from the PMO said.
The two leaders also reviewed the good progress achieved in trade negotiations and agreed to stay in close touch over the coming weeks.
“Spoke to my friend, President Trump and congratulated him on the success of the historic Gaza peace plan. Also reviewed the good progress achieved in trade negotiations. Agreed to stay in close touch over the coming weeks,” PM Modi said on X.
“We welcome the agreement on the first phase of President Trump’s peace plan,” PM Modi had earlier in the day said in a post on X, highlighting the strong leadership of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
“This is also a reflection of the strong leadership of PM Netanyahu. We hope the release of hostages and enhanced humanitarian assistance to the people of Gaza will bring respite to them and pave the way for lasting peace,” he had said.
The agreement marks a significant breakthrough in the two-year-long conflict in Gaza, with Hamas and Israel agreeing to a ceasefire and hostage release.
The deal involves the release of all living Israeli hostages in exchange for nearly 2,000 Palestinian detainees.
US President Donald Trump announced the agreement, saying, “I am very proud to announce that Israel and Hamas have both signed off on the first Phase of our Peace Plan. This means that all of the Hostages will be released very soon, and Israel will withdraw their Troops to an agreed upon line as the first steps toward a Strong, Durable, and Everlasting Peace.”
The development has been welcomed globally, with the United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres commending the intense diplomatic efforts and calling on all parties to fully implement the terms of the agreement.
