Tel Aviv, Aug 27 (UNI) The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said that an initial inquiry into the strike, which illed at least 20 people, including journalists and medical staff, showed that the intended target was a camera positioned by Hamas to capture Israeli military activity.
Israel did not provide evidence for the claim, reports CNN.
The IDF, however, said it would “examine several gaps” related to its “double-tap” attack on Nasser Hospital, including an “examination of the authorization process prior to the strike” and an “an examination of the decision making process in the field.”
“The Chief of the General Staff emphasized that the IDF directs its activities solely toward military targets,” the statement concluded.
“The Chief of the General Staff emphasized that the IDF directs its activities solely toward military targets,” the statement concluded.
An Israeli security official previously told CNN that the forces involved in the strike were authorized to strike the camera with a drone, but fired two tank shells: the first at the camera and the second at rescue forces.