Kupwara, Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Friday said the Centre will soon take a call on whether to extend the Ramazan ‘ceasefire’ or not, after reviewing the security situation at the highest level.
‘After proper consultation with the public representatives and reviewing the security situation at the highest level, a decision in connection with the extension of ‘ceasefire’ will be taken,’ Mr Singh, who met several delegations here, told reporters outside Dak Bunglow in Kupwara.
However, he said the reports received from the state government and the security agencies had been positive, so far.Mr Singh said the decision not to initiate operations against militants was taken, keeping in view the holy month of Ramazan. ‘Army, paramilitary forces and state police personnel have worked with patience,’ he said.
The Union Minister on Friday visited this frontier district and interacted with various delegations, including Gujjars and Bakarwals, who had come from different parts of north Kashmir.
Mr Singh further said that five battalions of IR will be raised and 60 per cent vacancies will be reserved for the people of border area.
Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti had on Thursday urged Mr Singh to extend the suspension of operation against the militants. She had said that this has helped children to play in fields, gardens and other parks, without any fear.
However, she had accused militants of trying to sabotage the Ramazan ceasefire. Mr Singh arrived in the summer capital Srinagar on Thursday, on a two-day visit to the state.
On Thursday, Mr Singh addressed a Sports Conclave at S K Indoor Stadium, where he facilitated several sportspersons, who have represented the country at international levels.
The Union Minister also addressed a press conference, besides heading a security review meeting. Mr Singh also met Governor N N Vohra and Ms Mufti on Thursday.