Washington, The Pentagon notified Congress that it has authorised the transfer of $1 billion to begin new wall construction along the US-Mexico border, drawing immediate objections from Democratic lawmakers, a statement on Tuesday said.
Acting US Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan on Monday authorised spending of $1 billion, according to the statement of the Department of Defence.
The Department of Defence said that the funds would be spent on building 57 miles of 18-foot-high pedestrian fencing, roads, and lighting within the Yuma and El Paso Sectors of the border.
US President Donald Trump declared a national emergency last month to free up to $8 billion in federal funding to build a wall on the US southern border. The president has said the wall is needed to prevent criminals and drugs from pouring into the United States.
Earlier in March, the Defence Department said it identified $12.8 billion in possible funding that could be used to fulfill Trump’s call to construct border wall.