Chronicle Reporter, Indore
A major fire broke out in a chemical factory on Sanwer Road on Wednesday afternoon in which goods worth lakhs of rupees gutted. The flames were too intense that two adjacent plastic units were also gutted in the fire. Chemical filled drums were also exploded due to fire causing panic among people.
According to S-I Tehsildar Singh Sikarwar, the fire incident took place around 3.45 pm in the chemical factory, BC Petro Chem. Workers were busy in their work when they spotted smoke. They immediately ran out of the factory and informed the factory owner. Later, police fire brigade was also informed.
The reason behind the fire is said to be short circuit. So far, no casualty has been reported. The fire was so huge that smoke bellowing out of the factory could be seen from several kilometers away.
Eyewitness Ankit Yadav said drums filled with highly flammable chemical inside the factory were exploded due to fire. The fire-fighters had to face tough situation while extinguishing the fire as it was spreading towards adjacent plastic units. However, the fire fighters managed to extinguish the fire.
There were some workers inside the factory but they came out immediately otherwise there could be a major accident. The chemical from the factory was also spread outside and over a dozen two-wheelers were also gutted in the fire.
Fire brigade had to use more than 50 tankers of water and about 7,000 liters of foam to douse the flames. The whole operation took about six hours. Goods worth lakhs of rupees were gutted.